DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I fell down a flight of stairs 3 weeks ago and landed on

I fell down a flight of stairs 3 weeks ago and landed on ceramic tiles, landed on my tailbone and OMG the pain was awful, I could only lie on my side that day as moving around just made it worse and couldn't manage sitting and trying to stand up was terrible. Anyway next day I felt much worse, no bruising at that time, but went to the Dr as I do care work which involves a lot of manual handling and knew I wouldn't be able to manage. Dr did a thorough examination and send me to A&E where they did a CT scan, the scan showed that my tailbone was not fractured, but wear & tear to my discs, nothing else was said. I was signed off work for 2 weeks, the pain continued in my tailbone and the next day it started showing a bruise, so I put it down to having a bruised tailbone and didn't go back to Dr as nothing they can do, just takes time to heal, should that not have showed up on the CT scan at the time or no because the bruising only appeared later? I have also been having problems emptying my bladder and feeling the urge to go a lot more, I did call the DR to tell them and they said it could be the painkillers I am on, but anyway this is still going on and I got signed of for another 2 weeks as was still in a lot of pain and mobility very limited. I am due back to work next Fri - 12th Aug, if I am still having a lot of pain come Thur should I return to my doctor, I have tried exercises which I found in a google search but just cause nothing but pain, it has eased slightly from what it first was, do I just have to be a patient patient and because of my job should I wait and only go back once the pain has died down more, I don't want to go back and have to get signed off again, would rather wait until it is much better and I would hope to see a big difference in another couple of weeks. Advice much appreciated.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Hello.

Thanks for the question.

The injury could aggravate the disc problem.

You need the correct physiotherapy.

This should have been started by now.

You should maybe have an MRI to rule out microfractures.

I suspect this it the wear and tear they saw, which got worse.

You should ask for a referral to a non-invasive orthopedist, to get an assessment for which therapies, hands on that you needed.

Do not try to treat it yourself. This can make it worse.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Because the bruising only appeared two days later after my fall and around my tailbone area, should something not have shown up on the CT scan or not necessarily? What is your advice for getting back to work if still suffering?

Bruising can how up later, even if there is nothing on the CT.

You did have something show up.

My advice is the same as above...that you get proper treatment.

I could not make a work assessement, but the doctor can.

I would not do anything that involved lifting at the moment.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK and any ideas why my bladder not emptying properly?

If the lower spine disease progresses enough, this can tense up the bladder.

But that has to be looked at with a number of tests.

EMG/NCS

That can be done in the orthopedists office to look at nerve impulses.