Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

With chronic blood loss from cancers such as bowel cancer

With chronic blood loss from cancers such as bowel cancer etc do both ferritin and hemaglobin drop or one ?Is there any reason why ferritin would be very low but hemaglobin moderate ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 7 months ago.

Dear customer,

Both may decrease. What are the results of testing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hemaglobin 10.6 n serum ferritin 8. I'm just worried how ferritin is so low . The person is female over 60

What other investigations were done?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

This means that the Los Angeles (LA) classification was used for the endoscopic diagnosis of GERD (Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease). and you have the lowest grade with minimal change. However the reflux of acid from the stomach to the esophagus has caused some minimal damage and therefore the reflux needs to be prevented and treated. Hence to assist in the healing of the esophagus and to prevent further complications your doctor may have prescribed medications such as omeprazole which will decrease the production of acid. You need to take it regularly for at least 2 weeks or as prescribed by your doctor to see improvement in your symptoms.

Other measures that are beneficial are:
Eating frequent, small meals.
Avoid the use of alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine containing products
Raising the head of the bed before sleeping
Eating a low fat diet and especially avoid fried foods, and chocolate.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think you sent me someone else's question response .Colonography done and endoscopy awaiting results nowJust fill
Bloods were done .are these readings v low

Sorry that was meant for a different customer, please accept my apologies.

Does the patient suffer from any inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or have any other medical condition?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No worries . No only blood pressure for which she is on medication and she's taking asprin and bisoprol. Re stools are normal colour but can this be due to cancers in the colon or tummy ?I'm more worried as both are low

Dear customer,

It is an expected finding in iron deficiency anemia for both these values to be low. So there is nothing to worry about this and this is not a finding that means something bad. This can be low even in dietary deficiency. It is a good finding that the stools are of a normal color however this does not rule out microscopic bleeding.

Take care.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But why would ferritin be so low as 8. Would
Only internal bleeding for long time say from tumor not only cause it ?

Dear customer,

It is expected in any cause of iron deficiency where the iron stores are exhausted for the ferritin level to be low. In females the normal reference range is 11-306 ng/mL. So a value of 8 does mean that is is low, but it not severely decreased. This is an expected finding in iron deficiency, and does not necessarily indicate cancer. It could be due to many other causes.

Take care.

Please rate the answer by clicking 5 stars.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do patients get weight loss with bowel cancer or tummy cancer ?

Dear customer,

Yes, unexplained and unintentional weight loss may be seen in both stomach and colon cancer.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no weight loss at all but anemia is
Present that's why I'm thinking if a bowel tumor etc
Could bleeding

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

The fact that there is no weight loss, no visible blood in the stools, and no other symptoms strongly suggests that this anemia is unlikely to be due to any cancer in the gastrointestinal tract. Is is most probably due to iron deficiency, however, this can only be confirmed after doing endoscopy and colonoscopy, to be safe, and not to miss any pathological condition.

Take care.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks . How long do results usually take for colonography and she's had a ct scan of chest abdomen and pelvis ?

You are welcome.

Depends on the workload of the staff. Should not be more than a day in most hospitals. However it may take a few days in some hospitals.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.