Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hurt my wrist last week picking up a garden umbrella (!).

I hurt my wrist last week picking up a garden umbrella (!). A very innocuous thing to do but very painful.
As I picked it up something in the outside of my left wrist suddenly hurt.
There is/was no swelling or discolouration.
It doesn’t always hurt but only when I do something when I twist it – the worst is putting my socks on/off!
I am due to go on holiday in 4 weeks scuba diving – so my worry is that it won’t get better in time if it’s a tendon injury.
I have no problem or pain when clenching my fist
I’m currently wearing a wrist support with a stiff splint in it
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This is most likely a sprain injury of the wrist, involving the ligaments of the wrist. It is also possible to strain the ligaments, but like the ankle, it is more common to sprain the ligaments.

There are several interventions that can be done at home for this. Wearing wrist support is reasonable. It also may help to apply ice and moist heat. Ice is most important for the first few days, but moist heat is more important thereafter. It also can help to take an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

While it is impossible to say with certainty, the vast majority of these injuries will improve before 4 weeks have passed.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you
So even without falling on it it could be a sprain - it just suddenly went 'twang' !
Also will Ibuprofen be of use if it's not swollen?

Yes. A sprain can happen without falling, such as a twisting action across the wrist. It occurs when the ligaments are suddenly pulled beyond the length that they are designed to hold.

Ibuprofen can help ease pain and secondary inflammation that occurs with such injuries, even if there is no noticeable swelling.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thank you very much - I'll give that a go

You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.