Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had a rash in my groin in the last two weeks. Which

Customer Question

I have had a rash in my groin in the last two weeks. Which I've attached an image, I also have itching in my anus which I have had for months. The doctor prescribed flucloxacillin which finished today, 4 a day for a week or so. This clearly hasn't worked - the doctor thought it could be Folliculitis but as I said the anti biotic hasn't worked. Please can you look at the image and advise
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

Can you please try to attach/upload the image again? The image has not been attached with the thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an email it won't let me add file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I think I sent them to you now
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Got them, let me have a look and I'll get right back to you.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Alright, I have seen the images. This looks more like a fungal rash rather than bacterial or folliculitis. Intertrigo is a more appropriate diagnosis. Intertrigo is a fungal infection caused by friction, sweat and heat in areas of body folds like the groin and the atmosphere in these areas which is moist, warm and easily ignored is the kind of environment, fungi dwell in.

An application of an antifungal ointment or powder like Lamisil powder twice a day for a week along with good hygiene and keeping the area dry will be effective.

However, I would like that you discuss this with your Doctor again.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention I suffer with athletes foot and have had fungal infections in the past. Can I use an athletes foot powder that I have which contains 1% tolnafate and corn starch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that I suffer with athletes foot and have had fungal infections in the past can I use an athletes powder I have that contains 1% tolnafate and corn starch
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

You can try it. Tolnaftate has indications in jock itch.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Wish you good health.