Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have been suffering with a burning sensation in my larynx

Hi, i have been suffering with a burning sensation in my larynx area which comes and goes every 30 mins and lasts about 20 seconds.
it has been ongoing now for 3 months, a recent laryngoscopy revealed some inflamation about which the ent specialist did not seem over concerned about and that with a few precautions (diet mainly) it would self heal.
Seems to me 3 months is a long time and i see no improvement since day one, i dont smoke,drink alcohol or eat junk food.
I would really like somebody to give a second opinion but asking seems impertinent after all he isnt a specialist for no good reason.
Could the initial inflamation have become something else for example ulcers?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

This burning pain is likely due to Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) which can cause extra esophageal symptoms thereby causing the inflammation in the larynx.

A good diet helps with the condition, however medication such as Prilosec which is available OTC may still be required for the control of symptoms and for the healing of the inflammation. You may consult your doctor regarding this and take Prilosec for a few weeks to see if the medication is beneficial.

If not treated complications may occur including an ulcer.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou,i have been on lansaprazole for 8 years is this safe without review? and why do you supose reflux reached my throat please?
Do you consider 3 months excessive healing period?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

What do you mean safe without review? Do you mean that will there be any complications from taking lansaprozole for such a long time? Have you had any investigations such as endoscopy done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as stated the endoscopy revealed the inflamation,i have been getting a repeat prescription for lansaprazole for 8 years without question, is it safe to take for such a long period without review?
Do you consider 3 months an excessive period of recovery?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

No this is not desirable. Long term use has been shown to be associated with a slight increased risk of bone fracture and vitamin B-12 deficiency. Therefore the requirement for continued use needs to be reviewed by your doctor and if not required may decrease the dosage or discontinue the medication.

If the reflux has been ongoing despite lansaprozole, then healing will not occur during 3 month period also, due to continued inflammation. Therefore please consult a gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy done to know the status of your GERD.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.