Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My 21 year old daughter has not pooed for three weeks! Her

Customer Question

My 21 year old daughter has not pooed for three weeks! Her tummy is really swollen ! Ben to three Drs two of which are triage! She is now on 12 sachets of movicol a day and has been on these for the last week along with lactulose! Nothing! Just the liquid she is drinking is coming out! She is really depressed at this stage and very frightened! She attends the gym every week at least five times and eats nothing but healthy fruit and veg and brown seeded protein rolls! Figs and prunes are part of her breakfast! Help please!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How long can you go without a poo?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Please ask your daughter to go to the ER again now. Don't delay as this can be due to intestinal obstruction and would need further investigations such as an abdominal x-ray to diagnose the exact cause. This is an emergency and cannot be managed conservatively in home with medications which are clearly not working. So now she needs emergency management to diagnose the cause and then treat the cause so that she will get relief.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Been sat n a n e and had an X ray and she is full! They are at a loose end as to what to do next! Clearly 16 laxitves a day are not doing anything! Help?

Dear customer,

Is this constipation occurring for the first time? What was the result of her complete blood count? Does she also have other symptoms such as fever, vomiting, or abdominal pain?

Please ask your doctor whether rectal laxatives are indicated in her case. She will likely benefit from laxatives which are given rectally if there is no contraindication for their use.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They have examined her inside but the mass is too high to feel! She's had two micro enemas! Today we go back and she had to take some liquid to show up any blockages and to rule out this part of the problem! If the liquid gets through and shows up as getting past the mass then they are going to try the medicine used to clear out people for colonoscopy to see if that will get things moving! She has a swollen abdomen and very clammy and ducky burps but think that is from the 16 movicol! She is very distressed by now especially as they were going to send her home to try no movicol for a few days ! I stood my ground hence the fact we are back this morning as the hospital chemist was closed last night so couldn't get the liquid needed! Her blood pressure is fine and her bloods came back normal but not sure what they checked for!

Dear customer,

So I feel that things are moving in the right direction now. Hopefully this problem will be solved today. The blood counts are normal means that there is no infection since that will cause a raised white blood cell count.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have you ever heard of a young person going three weeks and two days before? It's the first time ever? Do you think she will need surgery to remove the hard mass? I really don't want to if it can be avoided! I'm so worried and so is she! Is there an alternative? Thank you for your time!

Dear customer,

There are many similar cases and this is not the first case.

There is definitely an alternative to surgery in most cases, but sometimes surgery is indicated and can be life saving. Therefore please be prepared for surgery if it is required. However take the opinion of another doctor in your location before going ahead with the surgery.

Take care.

Please take a moment to rate the answer with 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please can you suggest the alternatives?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also if they cut into the colon does this risk sepsis from the toxins?

Dear customer,

The alternative is conservative treatment with medications and fluids after ruling out obstruction. When surgery is required adequate precautions will be taken by the surgeon to prevent sepsis. Please do not worry about this.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are giving a gastrograph this afternoon!
Will this help show the blockage?

Do you mean a barium enema?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry it's gastograffin by mouth the X Ray four hours later!

Dear customer,

Yes this test is a diagnostic test and will show whether the bowel is normal or if there is some pathology.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
results back from last X Ray and bowels compacted ! Can't see kinks or pocket but said X Ray's not100 percent! Sent home with picolax sachet then after six hours another picolax! Done all this and still nothing at all! I've massaged her tummy deaply and nothing! She is so upset and distressed! Where do we go from here and what do we do? The dr was sure this would work!
Could a colonic irrigation help or make it worse? Wits end now !
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Help please!

Dear customer,

Did they consider a CT scan if the x-rays were inconclusive?

Please inform the doctor who advised picolax and tell him/her that this has not worked and ask what to do next. Colon cleansing may help if done under medical supervision.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Another night gone and nothing! So much distress and tears and now wants to kill herself! How long can poo stay before it tears or goes bad or can part of the colon die!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Feel like no one at the hospital is taking it seriously ! Help please

Dear customer,

Please go to the emergency care in your hospital and get this resolved and ask for inpatient treatment.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How can they get it out if it's not even in the final part of the rectum yet?

That is not a requirement. They have to use rectal laxatives.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Back at hospital! Cannot use rectal laxatives as its not in the rectum they've told me! Waiting again now as no one here till later! Any suggestions?

Dear customer,

I don't have any suggestions except to take another doctors opinion preferably a gastroenterologist, and also to ask the present doctor for admission of your daughter to the hospital.

Take care.