Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

For a while I've noticed a small black mark like a pinprick

Customer Question

For a while I've noticed a small black mark like a pinprick under my big toe. I never gave it a thought until I woke up early this morning to find it puffed and inflamed and the toe in pain. It generally hurts less as the day goes on but in the meantime I'm not sure what it is or what I should do to treat it.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

Please attach a photo here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There should be one here
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This could be a splinter or a foreign body, but can not say for sure on the picture. If there is inflammation and swelling around it and if it hurts to touch on the area, then that is what it is. If not a splinter causing localized cellulitis then a skin lesion can not cause the whole big tow to swell, and the most likely cause is joint inflammation, usually arthritis presents with morning stiffness and the pain gets better as the day goes on and the joint is mobilized. I would suggest that you see your PCP for this to evaluate it further.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.