Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I may be having a fallopian tube removed tomorrow, I have an

Customer Question

I may be having a fallopian tube removed tomorrow, I have an appointment for a Hysterosalpingogram and the doctor mentioned removing the tube during the op if it is infected as the ultrasounds show fluid on one tube. however I have since read that my ovaries may also be removed in this process possibly causing early menopause. I was told nothing of this when I met my doctor. Please could you tell me if this is indeed what can happen?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If only one tube is affected, then there would be no risk that both ovaries would be removed. If the fluid collection and infection is affecting only one tube, it is possible that it may also affect the ovary on that side and that the affected ovary may need to be removed. The likelihood that the ovary on that side would need to be removed is low, but there would be no risk that both ovaries would be affected and would need to be removed.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. At the moment they can only see one side from the ultrasound however it may be a different case when he gets in there as another thing that I have read is that hydrosalpinx is often bi lateral. If only one Ovary is removed is there still a greater chance of early menopause happening than if I had none removed at all? My doctor said that once the tube/tubes are removed then I can go onto IVF privately however I am worried that if the Ovaries have to go and I have early menopause then I won't even be producing my own eggs for IVF. Do you know of any other options for hydrosalpinx other than having the tube removed? Also do you reccommend having them out at the same time as the Hysterosalpingogram tomorrow or waiting to see what can be done when the results are back. The one side that we know is infected has been giving me some discomfort and I have had one miscarriage and several chemical pregnacies possibly because of the leaking tube to be honest I would like it gone but as you can gather, very concerned about the risks of making my fertility even worse.

If one ovary is removed, there is no real increased risk of early menopause. Early menopause can occur, even with both ovaries intact, and the risk is not significantly different if one ovary is removed.

Whether there are other options for hydrosalpinx would depend upon what is found. If there is a small area of blockage, then surgery to open the blockage may be considered rather than removal of the tube. But if the tube is more extensively damaged, then surgical removal is the usual approach.

It is reasonable to proceed with surgical removal if the hysterosalpingogram shows that it needs to be removed. However, you can put a limit on what you are willing to consent to be done during surgery. For example, you can say that if there is more extensive involvement than is expected, that you would want to have further discussion before consenting to removal of both ovaries.