Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My husband who died last September from Leukaemia was

Customer Question

My husband who died last September from Leukaemia was perfectly healthy until he reached 64 when we went to Corfu for our holiday and he came back with terrible diarrhoea. After going to see a specialist he was told he was a coeliac and would have to stick to a gluten free diet for the rest of his life. We stuck rigidly to this and to be honest his life was a misery, Also he was never without the diarrhoea not really we couldn't even go out for a car ride without him running for a field. This only happened once we went abroad and came back he didn't enjoy his retirement at all I think he was pleased to be out of it by the end, The leukaemia was odd as well because for years they had been taking blood away from him because he was making too man y red cells, then all within 10 days he dies of leukaemia. What happened.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing medical doctor with over 10 years experience and I'm ready to help

I'm so sorry this happened

Basically he had a bone marrow issue that transformed.

This happens sometimes. He had polycythemia and this disease mutated into leukemia and that is what got him

I'm sorry he had to suffer.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

I am also sorry about your husband.

there are several different types of leukemia.

CLL or chronic lymphocytic leukemia is the most common form and can transform into ALL or acute lymphocytic leukemia and be more aggressive and fatal

sometimes bone marrow mutations can occur and turn into AML or acute myelocytic leukemia and be aggressive and fatal as well.

it doesn't sound like staying away from gluten really helped.

he could have had crohns disease or ulcerative colitis and not celiac spruce gluten allergy

in the UK, it can be hard to get a consultation with a GI specialist to get a colonoscopy for proper diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease.

at his age, most likely a bone marrow transplantation to fight his leukemia most likely was not possible.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thanks for this question.Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)If you have more questions, just reply