Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have had severe abdomen pain for about 3 hours. No

I have had severe abdomen pain for about 3 hours. No diarrhoea , no flatulence and no nausea. It is all through the area around my belly button , probably 6 inches in diameter. I am equally in pain in any position. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Is it radiating to lower right side of abdomen?

Burning sensation and pain during urination?

Is pain continuous or spasmodic/intermittent)?

Constipation?

Difficulty in urination?

Alcohol and smoking history?

Any other medical history?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is evenly distributed and quite acute. The pain is pretty constant. I haven't got constipation, am fine urinating . I sometimes get diarrhoea but the sensation is totally different. It is in the area around my belly button but not as high as my rib cage or as low as below my waist. I have never smoked but do drink more than is recommended . I can't tell whether it is feeling bloated or simply just painful- definitely the latter but maybe the former. I have no history of IBS and had a colonoscopy recently , which was totally clean. Also a scan of my liver which was also fine. I have no history of IBS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the Nurofen may be helping somewhat. I have been able to stay still for 3 or 4 minutes, albeit with considerable discomfort as opposed to pain which wouldn't let me stay still. I had fish fingers, peas and no booze for dinner!

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include Peptic ulcer,Ureteric colic,Intestinal spasms, mesenteric adenitis.

Sometimes gall bladder disease ,pancreatitis,Appendicitis associated pain starts initially near belly button area.

However chances of these conditions are less with no other associated symptoms you have.

You can take OTC Prilosec and do warm compresses with a heating pad.

Also take OTC Mylanta gas to relieve intestinal gas and bloating.

Also you should hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

As you feel somewhat better with Nurofen so try such self care measures and wait for an hour to see if they respond to your symptoms.

To make a diagnose, you need to get few tests-
-Abdominal ultrasound
-Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography (ERCP)
-Complete blood count (CBC)
-Pancreatic enzymes blood test
Also, Testing for H. pylori would be needed.

Once cause is diagnosed, accordingly line of treatment would be selected.

Considering severity of pain even if such measures wouldn't provide relief then I would suggest that you should not delay and see your doctor in ER ASAP.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the discomfort has moved slightly downwards and the Nurofen has helped the pain somewhat. My abdomen is starting to make a few gurgling noises!

Please review my previous reply and try such self care measures in the meantime.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since the pain has reduced a bit I will try with self help and get the OTC medications you recommend. It doesn't sound as if it's worth going to hospital . Thank you

Thanks for the follow-up.It’s my pleasure.

If pain is resolving so you can wait and try such self care measures in the meantime.

You feel better.

In case of recurrent episode of severe pain then you should see your regular doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil