Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Please can you help I'm in constant pain from my hips down

Customer Question

please can you help I'm in constant pain from my hips down my knees are cracking all the time sometime it realy hurts and brings tears to my eyes
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Sorry your question has not been answered so long.

Associated lower back pain?

Numbness,tingling sensation in legs?

Is pain continuous all the time or intermittent at certain positions?

Any history of injury?

Are you overweight?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any investigations so far?

Any other medical history?

Swelling,redness on legs?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi I'm over weight but losing weight slowly iv only had x rays which showed slight ostiphrosies sorry cant spell my left leg swells my toes go red when they get warn my knees are constantly cold

Thanks for all these additional information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Well as you describe,osteophytes formation( bony projection associated with the degeneration of cartilage at joints) suggest degenerative arthritic changes in lumbar spine which can result in nerve irritation while passing through spine causing severe pain in legs.

Other possible cause of your symptoms may include Peripheral arterial disease-narrows arteries in the legs, limiting blood flow resulting in pain,swelling,redness,warmth/coldness in legs.

I would recommend to see your doctor again and further color doppler study of lower limbs,MRI of lumbo-sacral spine,Lipid panel,CBC,ESR,CRP should be done.

You should try some self care measures like

Elevate and stretch your legs.

Also do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and warm compresses with a heating pad on lower back can be tried.

You need to see Orthopedist for further prescribed medications for nerve related pain like gabapentin.

Also your doctor may prescribe glucosamine and chondroitin supplement.

Opt for Physical therapy and manipulation of joints to restore flexibility and strength, improve posture and reducing the pressure on the nerves.

Steroid injection can be given in case of severe pain.

Main thing is to diagnose properly and get treatment accordingly.

You should keep a positive attitude and your symptoms'll improve with treatment.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.