DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have an extremely embarrassing a mortifying problem I've

Customer Question

I have an extremely embarrassing a mortifying problem I've been suffering from halitosis for ever... I'm 35 and I have literally got to a point when I am so depressed about it I can't take any more... I have tried absolulty we've thing and online there is nothing what so ever that can help me ... I have very good teeth I see a hygienist and dentist every 3/6 months I have no tonsil stones and brush and floss And mouth wash I do everything I can and still have a repulsive taste in my month and friends have comented so I know it's not me!? Please help. I try to forget about it but it is horrendous to live with what is wrong with me!??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

I see that your question was submitted some hours ago. I am a double board certified clinical doctor and was just alerted to your question.

Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to here about your problem.

If it is not from the mouth, then it is from the digestive track.

Esophagus, stomach or small bowel.

Or digestion in general.

Of course we do not diagnose or treat online, but my first piece of advice is to see a GI specialist.

You certainly need to be tested for H pylori, the bacterial that causes gastritis and stomach ulcers as well as duodenal ulcers.

Acid reflux can have bad breath as its only symptom and this needs to be ruled out as well.

Ironically, not enough stomach acid can do this, and this condition is often missed by doctors.

As you are gearing up to see the specialist, I would start a very powerful pro biotic, not just an over the counter typical product, but 50 billion mixed flora twice a day.

You also should rule out small bowel overgrowth, which is also often missed, and this can be done with a hydrogen breath test and exam.

If probiotics make you feel worse, small bowel overgrowth is likely and would first need a course of

rifaxamin before the probiotics will help.

The diet itself should be addressed. A mediterranean type of diet, modified to be nutrient dense and anti inflammatory.

So, I know that is a lot. Let me know if you have more information you want me to consider, or further questions.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no problems with my stomach though? No pain so surely can't be an ulcer? What is overgrowth of the small intestine ? It's such a lot to take in... Also how do I go about getting the 50 billion flora probiotic?

An ulcer can have no pain.

Small bowel overgrowth is when the wrong bacterial takes over.

Any health food store or whole foods store will have the probiotic.

Please click a positive rating at the top of this post. I am glad to still follow up, but I am only paid per rating by just answer.