Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am suffering from anxiety exacerbated by a wrongly

Customer Question

I am suffering from anxiety exacerbated by a wrongly administrated medication (Lorazepam)
which was pumped into me for nearly 4 years without my being told that it was addictive!!
After a series of other drugs I am now taking Zoplicone 3.75mg at night, and have just started Propranolol 10mg, with food, during the day. As the effect is unpleasant, I have read about the Propranolol and am mystified as to why it has been prescribed, as I have none of the problems described!
I would greatly appreciate a one-to-one about it!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

While propranolol does not directly treat anxiety, it can help to ease many of the symtoms associated with anxiety. When anxiety is increased, it causes an increase in the amount of adrenaline and similar compounds released in the body, both as part of the involuntary nervous system and in the blood stream. The propranolol blocks the action of adrenaline by blocking beta-receptors, so can help prevent some of the symptoms associated with anxiety.

Different people have different symptoms with anxiety, so the propranolol may work to varying extent in different people. But if it helps to ease symptoms, it would be appropriate to continue the propranolol.

It is true that this is not one of the approved indications for the use of propranolol, but there have been many studies supporting the use for this indication and it has been used for this for many years.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.