Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I've been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and somatoform I

Customer Question

Hi I've been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and somatoform I don't believe this is what's causing my symptoms I get burning skin freezing cold legs exsessive sweating sticky skin oily skin and the feeling I've got a lump on my foot
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Have you had a complete blood count, fasting blood glucose, and thyroid function tests done in the past? Do you suffer from any medical condition or take any daily medications? Since when are you having these symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had these symptoms for nearly two years all blood test been done I inhaled poppers for 3 years and I'm worried I've damaged my brain doctors have said unlikely
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

When did you inhale poppers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Up until I started with symptoms I also lost my father around the same time to lung cancer and the symptoms lead to health anxiety and the symptoms progressed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also get leg aches
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

So since 2 years you have stopped inhaling them. The neurologic symptoms that you are having may resolve with abstinence. In many studies it was shown that there was significant improvements in previously identified neurologic symptoms following 2 years abstinence from inhalants, and in many cases, these deficits normalized. Even if complete recovery did not occur some studies did show that the symptoms decreased. Therefore you are likely having these symptoms because of the complication of chronic inhalants use and the symptoms will likely decrease on continued abstinence. So there is not much that you can do now if your doctors have found nothing abnormal in your physical examination and investigations. Worrying about this certainly does not help. Please consult with a therapist and this will be helpful in dealing with the anxiety and somatoform symptoms as well as help you in your continued abstinence.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think the symptoms are due to the anxiety and somatoform and do you think I've damaged my brain
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I don't believe you have damaged the brain as your doctors have been reassuring you that you certainly have not. What I do believe however is that you may be having some peripheral neuropathy symptoms which are likely reversible on abstinence.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had a mri scan or any test to rule out brain or nerve damage so how do the doctors know I haven't damaged my brain they have also said said they don't think my symptoms are down to the use of poppers
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Well then, in that case, you need to make sure that you consult a neurologist and have the specialist examine you. Please ask the specialist whether these imaging studies are indicated in your case. Follow his/her advice and you may then take his advice as the final say in the matter. Your symptoms may be due to the use of poppers and only when a physical examination and investigations have ruled out this can your doctors say with certainty that your symptoms are not due to the use of poppers.

Take care.

Please take a moment now to rate the answer with a positive rating.