DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 53 and had deep brain stimulation 18 months ago for

I am 53 and had deep brain stimulation 18 months ago for generalised dystonia. Since DBS I developed myoclonus which initially started as an over exaggerated startle response to sound and has now progressed to full body jerking to the extent it is so vigorous I stumble backwards during episodes and fall over and occasionally forwards, I can even tip my 21lb Weight walker with brakes on during an episode and have even jerked myself out of an armchair onto the floor and out of bed. I was initially put on 0.5mg clonazepram and am now on 1mg morning and evening. Since increasing a month ago from 0.5mg twice a day to 1mg twice a day the episodes seemed to have increased and I am getting left sided headache and pain in my left eye. My myoclonus has just carried on worsening, is it possible the clonazepram is actually making the myoclonus worse as it seems to have got worse as the dose has increased.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Hello.

thanks for the interesting question.

And I understand your concern.

Yes, it is quite possible to have a paradoxical reactoin to clonazepam, and this can happen with the benzodiazapines in general.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor immediately, and thing of a medication such as baclofen, which is in a different class.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/