Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Toddler has had very smelly loose stools for 5/6 days. No

Toddler has had very smelly loose stools for 5/6 days. No stool sample sent yet but as a nurse I know the smell of a bacteria infection. Would flagyl treat it.?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has been off her food also with this and I'm concerned she has c diff or gardyesis
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.

How many episodes of loose stools is she having everyday?

How old is she?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She will be 2 on 31/08/16 and she has been having 2/3 loose nappies per day. She is only taking fluids since Wednesday but is passing really foul wind.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.

I agree with you that there is a possibility of an infection which may require antibiotic therapy but 2-3 loose stools per day is not something alarming in terms of causing dehydration.

The most worrying thing or the thing that we look for in any child of this age is dehydration. I am pretty sure that he would not be dehydrated considering that he is only passing two to three stools a day, even though they are loose.

So we can wait for the results to come in to make a final decision on whether an antibiotic is required in her case.

In the vast majority of cases, even if it is a bacterial infection, it would settle in up to two weeks' time.

If it persists beyond that, obviously an infection among other causes such as celiac disease need to be considered and tested for.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards