DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I purchased Cerrelle contraceptive mini pill from an online

Customer Question

I purchased Cerrelle contraceptive mini pill from an online lloyds pharmacy - i took it as instructed on the first day of my period. However half way through the second packet I began to bleed (i originally took this pill to not have periods!) I stopped taking the pill over a month ago and have had irregular light bleeding everyday since - in between I have had a period (last week) and then the bleeding stopped for 3 days - today I have come back on my period again. So two periods in the space of 3 days. Is this normal? should i be worried and seek further medical help? Bearing in mind I haven't taken this pill for over a month and have been bleeding ever since.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Thanks for the question.

No, none of this is normal.

Hormonal imbalance is the most common cause.

But you could have

fibroids or other uterine problem

Liver or kidney problems

Cervical lesion

And other hormonal imbalance such as thyroid disease can cause bleeding.

Yes you need a full OB exam, and lab testing in all likelihood.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your response. However, I am uncomfortable with an examination for this as I have no stomach cramps, no discharge, no nothing - just the irregular bleeding. I have read in online forums that this is very common side affect to this pill. I only had this problem AFTER taking this pill. Before that my periods have been regular like clockwork.
I was just concerned because it's still happening even though I stopped taking the pill a month a go.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

What you describe can be do to the pill.

But it can also because with the disruption from the pill, there are other underlying problems that were unmasked.

In addition, it can be coincindental, where a problem started with the pill and they are unrelated.

Seeing a doctor is the only way to have a 100% answer.

We do not replace a doctor visit here, for obvious reasons, as we can not examine you.

So, you might well be correct, and if so, the problem should be improving.

If it is not, there are most likely other problems.

In addition, if you have never had a pap smear, that is really overdue at this point, as is an exam if you have not had one, medically speaking.