DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Iam an 83 yr old woman. I have been housebound for 4 months

Iam an 83 yr old woman. I have been housebound for 4 months with severe pain due to osteoporosis. the last 10 days the pain has eased due to co-codamol and morphine. I was severely and chronically constipated. last week I took a laxative tablet (prescribed) twice a day and ate some grapes. I have severe nausea and diarrohea (first blood stained and now clear mucus. I have been feeling extremely unwell with severe nausea and feel very weak and tired and for 4 days barely able to eat. can you advise
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

You seems to be suffering from an infection of the intestine or gastroenteritis. Your feeling of weakness is most likely due to the dehydration caused by the gastroenteritis. Other than taking oral fluids in a good amount you need to see the doctor.You will need to get some blood work and also a course of antibiotic to cure the infection.It is not normal to have blood in the stool with use of laxative so this most likely is an infection running in your intestines. If you are unable to take anything by mouth you might need some IV fluids. Constipation and Nausea can be a side effect of morphine and co-codamol as well so you need to take some anti-emetic as well while taking these opioid analgesics.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Feel free to ask if any further question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Are you with me ?

You are welcome for any further question

Lab work should include serum electrolytes,renal function,stool analysis,complete blood count,liver function and urinalysis

Good luck

I am available to answer till you are satisfied