Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a water infection I can't sleep been to the doctors

Customer Question

I have a water infection I can't sleep been to the doctors went the first time gave me tablets after the course it went and came back so I'm on a second load but it really hurts and don't seem to go away and I need sleep :(
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Hi Courtney. So you have a bladder infection? What did they treat you with and for how many days?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi yes and they treated me with trimethoprim for 3 days and then went back to the doctors and am on another course on it for 7 days
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Has it improved at all with the second course, so far?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it has not
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

The first course of trimethoprin may have knocked out only the weakest organisms, leaving the stronger ones to re-populate your bladder. This can result in a worse infection. I would suggest you call your doctor's office and ask them if they cultured the urine to see if it was sensitive or resistant to the antibiotic. If sensitive, you may just have to wait it out...but you should be feeling much better within a couple days. If resistant, you will need another antibiotic. This may be a good idea in either case, since your body has already seen the first one. In the meantime, it is important that you drink 8 glasses per day of water to flush the infection. There is a medication available over-the-counter called pyridium that should help to numb up your bladder and urethra and provide relief while you are waiting for the antibiotics to work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok