Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am very panicked at the thoughts that I may have

Customer Question

Hi there, I am very panicked at the thoughts that I may have contracted Leptospirosis after doing watersports in a canal last Sunday and swallowing a lot of water. 2 days after doing it I got diarrhoea which lasted for 3 days. I also had the chills and felt nauseous on one of those nights but that flu feeling went away after just the one night. It is now a week after it and any little pain I get in my back or anything is just making me totally panicked and paranoid! At this point if it was Leptospirosis or Weils would I be getting very serious side affects? I suffer from anxiety and am getting palpitations from it and can't sleep so any advice would really be very appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Kate.

I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist with over 10 years experience

I'm 100% sure you don't have leptospirosis or any other serious disease

You would not be getting better after that.

You probably got e coli or salmonella from the water and it passed

You should be fine

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've never used this service before so not sure how it works

Did you see my reply above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did, thank you. I just wanted to ask a few further q's to clear my mind! Anything I've read on Leptospirosis says that the illness is in 2 phases and that a few days after being sick first you get better and then it comes back. It also says the only way of knowing it's not leptospirosis is through a blood test

Can I ask where you found that info about 2 phases? I have not seen that in my experience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is all over any article I have read through a search on google. These are a few for e.g.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/220563-clinical
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/bacterial-infections/leptospirosis
http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/symptoms/Have you treated anyone with it? This is why I'm worried

I see nothing that says you get symptoms, it goes away then it comes back.

There are a variety of syndromes but if you have symptoms and they go away you are good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is one article that explains it. Sorry now I'm just panicked after reading this stuff! Have you got experience in this area?The natural course of leptospirosis falls into 2 distinct phases. The acute phase of illness lasts 5-7 days and is followed by a 1-3 day period of improvement in which the temperature curve falls and the patient may become afebrile and relatively asymptomatic. Subsequently, leptospirosis either regresses to a relatively asymptomatic illness or progresses to a more severe illness.Recurrence of fever indicates the onset of the second, immune stage. Nonspecific symptoms, such as fever and myalgia, may be less severe than in the first stage and last a few days to a few weeks. Many patients (77%) experience headache that is intense and poorly controlled by analgesics; this often heralds the onset of meningitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?

I'm here

I have seen a few cases of it and never seen severe disease

The disease itself is very rare and the severe illness is even more rare.

virtually unheard of

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for putting my mind at ease

welcome