Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 65 and wonder if I have a hypothyroid condition. I am

I am 65 and wonder if I have a hypothyroid condition. I am worried about my memory lapses which are becoming rapidly worse, especially in terms of speech and vocabulary; I have always been a wordsmith and a good writer: friends (inc. my age and older) along with my husband are having to complete sentences for me. I struggle to think concisely and quickly now and my small motor skills are not as good. I did take the SAGE test (downloaded from U Ohio)and passed easily although I'm not sure of its validity. Web browsing on memory loss I was stunned to find that virtually all my other irritating health issues - chronic depression, lethargy, hair loss, sleeplessness - are collective symptoms of hypothyroidism, along with 'brain fog'. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the late 1990s which still comes and goes in varying degrees, and this has been attributed as the reason behind pain sensitivity in muscles, depression, insomnia, lethargy etc. But apparently there is an established link between fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism, i.e., that this may be fibromyalgia's underlying cause. What is your opinion? Should I get a thyroid function test?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be appropriate to check thyroid blood tests. Many symptoms of thyroid disease are non-specific, particularly, so it is appropriate to check thyroid tests in someone with a wide variety of symptoms. There even are some national guidelines that recommend thyroid testing in people without symptoms, because the symptoms can be so insidious that they may be attributed to aging, although there is no consensus of the exact age at which to start testing or the frequency of testing. However, in your case, with various symptoms, it would be appropriate to check thyroid tests.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.