How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5331
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

I am a 35 year old male with a full head of hair, I suffer

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am a 35 year old male with a full head of hair, I suffer from scalp acne, this tends to be at the back of my head and down the sides near my eyes and the bottom of my hairline but in general can be anywhere in my hair. I have never had bad face acne but do get one or two spots regularly in my face and occasionally in other areas like back, neck etc.
My scalp can be quite itchy, I currently use head and shoulders shampoo, I have tried ours in the past such as t gel, vosine, wash and go etc
When I have my hair shaved it seems to be worse, I had it done Saturday and have quite bad outbreak and general red blotches on show.
I don't know how to treat this at home, I went to my gp once who gave me t gel and a cream to use.
I do use regaine for men but no styling products and I wash my hair every morning.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Have you seen a dermatologist?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No never. I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

I would suggest you try a course of antibiotics and a steroid ointment (e.g. lidex). This may be in part infectious and in part inflammatory, and that is why it is not healing with a single approach.

Dr. Bob and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you