Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I had a complete knee replacement in April. I am seventy six

I had a complete knee replacement in April. I am seventy six and was advised to have an epidural. The knee is healing well my general health is good, but i am experiencing back pain during the night and early morning. I also can not control my bladder as well as before the operation. I am a widow and need to be active. I have not actually had a face to face with the consultant and his team since the operation. I have had my blood monitored that is back to normal. But my back is worrying me, the pain is like a band across the waist and lower back not sharp dull and deep.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

The back pain is not due to the epidural injection.The pain due to epidural puncture will last for few days only.It will not last for 3-4 months.

This is likely to be related to degenerative changes in lumbar spine which are common with advancing age.Pain during night and at start of day are typical for lumbar spondylosis.

You need to have an x ray to confirm lumbar spondylosis which can be treated with physiotherapy and postural care.

You may need analgesics as per need.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to the operation my back was sound, I have always had a supple back practising yoga for many years. It seems a coincidence that this has started since the operation. I was somewhat nervous about the injection, really I feel disappointed with your answer, I should have just gone to my own doctor for advice. I didn't consider that it might be something like spondylitis.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Dear Joan

I am disappointed that you are disappointed with my answer.

We provide information based upon what you tell us.It is not our intent to treat your condition.We are here to guide you.

At times the answer may not match with what you expected or with what you would have liked to hear from us.But we have a duty to be ethical and truthful.That is exactly what I have done.

You are invited to ask if you have any more queries related to the topic.If you are done do take a moment to rate my answer positively as this is the only way we get paid for our work and time on this website.You can come back to this thread if you forgot something.