DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have suddenly lost hearing in my right ear after waking up

I have suddenly lost hearing in my right ear after waking up feeling like my ear is popping
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to just answer.

This is a medical emergency until proven otherwise.

It could be as simple as wax coating the ear drum.

However, the worst case scenario is sudden hearing loss.

This is presumed to be from painless inflammation, and would need immediate prednisone if there is a chance of saving the hearing.

Infection is another possibility.

In any case, immediate exam is needed.

A&E is recommended unless you can be in the doctors office now.

An ENT now would be ideal, but any of these options.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can't get to a doctor right now, the only appointments available are for thursday. Can you tell me if there is any treatment for this should hearing in my right ear be lost permanently?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

No.

You need to go to A&E as I advised if you can not get to the doctor.

That is the safer bet.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here