Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I need a good diet to reduce my weight But not one that is

I need a good diet to reduce my weight But not one that is too extreme
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Weight gain can be due to genetic, hormonal, or due to physical inactivity, as well as excess calorie intake. One of the most important investigation which can be done is thyroid hormone test since when there is inadequate thyroid hormones in the body this may lead to weight gain and an inability to lose weight despite exercising and diet control.
Even a weight loss such as 5 to 10 pounds a year has been shown to cause a substantial benefit such as a 25% decline in mortality. A realistic goal is the loss of 5-10% of your body weight and then maintaining the resultant body weight over a period.
.
To jumpstart and sustain the weight loss you must do the following:
You must eat whenever you are hungry, but just enough to satisfy your hunger. You can have a balanced diet of small meals 4-6 times every day.
Managing calorie intake is the right step towards managing weight. A healthy diet helps.
Regarding your diet the following advice will be beneficial:
Increasing starches:
Wholemeal Bread. Eat plenty of cereal products such as bread, breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, noodles.
Porridge or high fiber wholegrain cereals.
Eat more root vegetables and starchy fruits such as potatoes, plantain,green bananas.
Potatoes, pasta or rice
Include pulses and vegetables in meat dishes
Wholemeal flour in baking
Decreasing fat:
Use as little oil or fat as possible when food is prepared or cooked.
Avoid frying
Choose lean cuts
Trim off visible fat
Don't add meat fat to gravies
Avoid pies and sausages
Cook in vegetable oil which Is changed frequently
Low fat polyunsaturated margarine's
Use semi-skimmed milk. low fat cheese, or low fat yogurt.
Eat fewer cakes. pastries,confectionery, and biscuits as these can contribute considerable amounts of fat.
Increasing fruit/vegetables:
Increase use of wider range in salads
Two vegetables at each meal
Fruit as a desert instead of puddings
Bowls of fruit on display for easy access
Include vegetables In meat dishes, e.g.stews and curries
Decreasing Salt:
Fresh food in preference to tinned or packaged
Use more herbs and spices to add flavor
Minimum use in cooking and at table
Reduce meat and vegetable extracts
Decreasing Sugars:
Decrease use in cooking and at table
Artificial sweeteners
Fresh or dried fruit can add sweetness to taste
Low calories or sugar free drinks
Avoid confectionery
To summarize basically to achieve optimal health outcomes you need a diet rich in complex carbohydrates, particularly whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, along with healthful oils and lean protein sources. Also you need to stop going hungry for extended periods each day, as this will not be beneficial, and you can have free access to low-calorie foods such as fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, nonfat dairy, dried fruit, whole grain breads or cereals.
Though there are many diets and eating plans to help lose weight, the only proven long-term and safe method is to burn more calories than are ingested.
You need to embrace a healthy eating lifestyle by choosing a variety of nutrient-rich foods, including fruits, vegetables and whole grains and small amounts of energy-dense foods like olive oil, nuts and dried fruits, along with exercise, and you can ask your doctor about the right type of activities for you, since even small amounts of activity provide immediate benefits.
Exercise is a must and is an adjunctive to weight loss.
You can also try out low-impact exercises, such as water aerobics and water resistance training. You need to start an exercise plan and develop a graded exercise regimen in consultation with your doctor.
Start small with a few exercises initially and keep adding new exercises as you progress.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/aquatic-exercise/sls-20076730
Continue with an exercise program as this will assist in losing the localized fat and also for the other numerous health benefits. Regarding exercise, the standard exercise recommendation is a daily minimum of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity (such as brisk walking) physical activity.
Another approach would be Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) for weight loss, which is helpful in changing and reinforcing new dietary and physical activity behaviors.
You also need to sleep adequately with 8 hours of sleep daily to prevent to prevent visceral fat accumulation. Oversleeping and decreased sleep time can cause visceral fat to accumulate.
Lastly decreasing your stress levels will also be beneficial in preventing visceral fat accumulation, and exercising will also be helpful in decreasing the stress levels.

For meal plans and exercise recommendations you may read the below linked book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mayo-Clinic-Diet-weight-loss-experts/dp/1561487775/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Take care.
Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr Ravoof
You have given me a very full and useful eating plan and I intend to carry it out effectively
I have already begun walking exercise in the morning - everyday-
And I am glad that I don't have to go hungry But can eat regular healthy foods
I shall restock my food cupboard asapThanks for the very good adviceKind RegardsLyn B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have begun my improved diet and I am also keeping up the walking exercise everyday...Thanks once again Dr Ravoof for the very useful advice that you have given me ..Lyn B
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Glad to know about your progress. Make small positive changes but be persistent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I last wrote to you, I have lost 7lbs I have kept to my diet and I exercise more. Thank you for your helpful advice. Lynne Brant
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

This is wonderful news. Continue with what you are doing, and do it consistently since this is producing results.

Take care.