Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am extremely worried about some neuro symptoms I have been

Customer Question

Hi there,
I am extremely worried about some neuro symptoms I have been getting.
It started with what I thought was carpel tunnel syndrome and sciatica in pregnancy.for many many months after delivery I had bone pain and tender joints. Last winter I got numb and white fingers in the cold. This happened occasionally and went on until April when the warmer weather hit and I started to get tingling and dizziness and eye symptoms. I delayed going to the ophthalmologist out of fear ( had no pain but flashing lights, floaters and uncomfortable feeling with artificial lights) . I went on 2 occasions but several weeks into symptoms and got diagnosed with PCs. I am wondering was it ON - could they miss it if it was several weeks after symptoms started?
At this time my legs felt a bit weak for a few days. I didn't know these were symptoms of ms so didn't do anything for a few weeks when I went to my gp who said it was probably reynauds but all my bloods have come back clear. My symptoms totally disappeared for 2 weeks while I was on holiday but the tingling returned when I came home.
My go says to wait a few weeks but I am out of my mind with worry.
Is there any non sinister cause of these symptoms?
Thank you so much,
Audrey
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Audrey. We see these types of symptoms all the time. They often wax and wane. Typically they will resolve over time. The fact that your symptoms improved while on vacation is very reassuring and suggests that an important factor is stress. While this might simply be an exacerbating factor of some other process, it is something that can be worked on and managed. In the meantime, I would suggest you see a rheumatologist. Many of your symptoms are suggestive of an autoimmune or autoinflammatory process, one that may or may not last. Either way, however, they can do some specialized testing and may want to start you on immunomodulatory therapy for diagnostic and therapeutic reasons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Bob. I know you cannot diagnose without a liteny of tests but please could you tell me what else apart from ms it could possibly be? Is it possible to miss ON? Thank you again, Audrey
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

These are all autoimmune conditions...including MS, ON (which is often a presenting sign of MS), fibromyalgia, Raynaud's, rheumatoid arthritis, mononeuritis multiplex. The list is long and 2 or 3 autoimmune conditions can co-exist within the same individual. Basic blood tests are often normal. Specialized blood tests usually indicate something awry. It can get very confusing. This is why I would suggest you see a rheumatologist rather than a neurologist. MS can wax and wane and there is little that can be done in the early stages anyway, so we are often comfortable waiting to see what develops. A rheumatologist (particularly an academic one) is more likely to pursue a diagnosis right away and initiate some form of treatment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Bob.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Keep the faith, this will improve one way or the other. :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.From what i have read ms does not look like a good diagnosis.I am really terrified.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I agree this does not look like MS, but it can be variable in presentation...vexing...and the diagnosis is often delayed. So it is worth considering, and ruling out. There are also mild forms that probably never get diagnosed...but don't cause too much mischief either.