wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Have had actinic keratosis on my right cheek for

Customer Question

Have had actinic keratosis on my right cheek for 10+years.Have had biopsies.Use Solaraze cream for management. Have had many laser treatments over the years.In the early years cosmetic results excellent. I am 72 use sunscreen daily and avoid being in the sun. Over the last two years Dr has tried picato gel and aldara cream.Followed by NdYag laser and IPL treatment.
He has now diagnosed erythema in this area due to actinic keratosis and has told me to cover it with make up.I assume this to mean he can't do any more for me.I am just so distraught about this. Also it has cost me a lot of money.
So I have quite good skin on my face apart from the glowing red patch on my right cheek.
Any suggestions please? I would be most grateful as my dermatologist doesn'want a follow for another year. Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

can you upload a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take won mg temazepam at night. No other medical problems.
I have been seeing a professor in dermatology in London for years.
The erythma on me cheek is about the size of 5p coin.
With underlying keratosis which all the treatments have been for over the years.
I really want a second opinion from another dermatologist. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor says to cover it up with make up! This is not solving my problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shout have written 20mg temazepam each night. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be able to answer my question today please. Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

Well, you can have the area of erythema surgically removed. If it leaves a defect that is to large for primary closure then a skin graft can be sewn in place.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I went to a dermatogist in the first place was to avoid surgical removal! I think today with all the new lasers and creams there must be something to calm the are down maybe hydrocotisone cream? I am sorry but you haven no help to me at all. I REALLY WOULD LIKE A FULL REFUND.-- I will make an appointment to see my doctor in London again.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other queery will be -instead of surgery and possible skin graft-could the area be frozen out with liquid nitrogen without scarring? My dermatologist does not use it but my GP does?
Thank you Marion Maxwell
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that could be tried before going to surgery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to ask any further questions.please cross me off your list.THANK YOU.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more to add. Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Will do.

Have a good week.