Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've been taking doxycycline for the past 7 days as a

Customer Question

Hi DoctorI've been taking doxycycline for the past 7 days as a precautionary measure for chlamydia, gohnnorea, etc.The prescription received was 14 tablets and to be taken 2 a day for 7 days.I've been experiencing lower back pain asif it is my kidneys though if unsure if this relates to the doxycycline. Yesterday was my last day of taking the medication, however after taking tablet 13 of 14 I felt extremely dizzy which has persisted through to this morning though perhaps has eased somewhat.I'm curious:
- how likely is it that doxycycline would cause this dizziness or perhaps even kidney pain and would i not have expected to have these symptoms when i first started taking it?
- Second, if i did have chlamydia or gohnnorea, do you think taking 13 of the 14 tablets would get rid of it? I still have the last tablet which i should have taken yesterday evening but im worried about experiencing the same side effects.Thanks
Stephan
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello Stephen.

Neither dizziness or kidney pain are typical side effects to doxycycline. It certainly is possible that someone may have unique symptoms from the doxycycline or any drug, but it is rare for symptoms to occur that are not typically seen. However, if the symptoms resolve with stopping the drug, then that would be suspicious that the doxycycline did cause the symptoms.

Yes, 13 of 14 pills would likely have eradicated chlamydia if it was present. There are no studies to look at the likelihood of success with 13 pills, but it is unlikely that missnig one pill would make a significant difference.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doctor and sorry for the late reply.Do you think my symptoms could be attributed to a different STD such as hepatitis?I've had this feeling of dizziness for 4 days now. The lower back pain around my kidneys and abdomen doesnt seem as severe though it is still sore now and again.I also still have an irritation in my mouth like a burning sensation on my tongue. Ive had this for over a week now andmy concern was due to giving a sex worker unprotected oral which you might recall from our earlier conversation.Is hepatitis something that can easily becaught through unprotected oral or protected sex?Kind Regards
stephan

These symptoms are not typical for hepatitis. If the partner is actively infected with hepatitis B, then it is easily transmitted by unprotected sex, while condoms are good at reducing the risk of transmission.