DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

About 14 years ago I sustained a burst appendix and

About 14 years ago I sustained a burst appendix and peritonitis. My digestive system has been quite sensitive before and since that episode (I was in hospital for 14 days while my abdominal cavity was drained). More recently I've noticed a general sensitivity in my abdomen, that comes and goes, particularly in the lower left side of my abdomen. I can have bowel movements app. 3 x daily, usually almost immediately after waking, after breakfast and after lunch (curiously not after evening meal) various consistency and shapes. I also notice my guts 'quivering' sometimes get bloated and lots of flatuence. Could you give me some advice about this. Thank you.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

There are a few possibilities here

The pain can be due to adhesions/scars from the previous surgery.

Stool immediately after the meals indicate a hyperactive bowel causing gastrocolic reflex and thus the stool.

IBS is another possibility

You can take some PPI like omeprazole and some antacid to help with bloating and flatulence.Ispaghula husk also help in regularizing the bowel.

In the meanwhile make an appointment with your doctor and get some lab work and if indicated an ultrasound and CT abdomen as well.After examining your doctor can guide you further investigations.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Are you with me?

Do ask if any more question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Dr Ehtisham for your helpful advice. Could you say something more about adhesions. I also notice that exercise can effect this. For example if I jog on the treadmill I may have to get off with urgency to go to the toilet, this does not happen if walking or cycling or swimming. I would further describe the sensitivity on my lower left side like a tightness that relieves when I massage it ...

You are most welcome

Due to previous surgery there can be scars inside the abdominal cavity and these can give rise to pain.

I would suggest you do get evaluated for your symptoms and get the above mentioned investigations.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

You are most welcome

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question