Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm very worried about my left ear. Back in April, whilst

I'm very worried about my left ear. Back in April, whilst swimming my ear popped as you'd expect diving 3m down. However, it did hurt immediately and I had water stuck in my ear for a lot longer than ever before. Being in the Forces on a career course at the time, I didn't want to flag this up so I waited until I was home on leave to see a GP. As time went by, It wasn't a major issue for me and I've been on planes etc. Just something I wanted to get checked out, because the slightest hearing impairment would be medical discharge from the Royal Marines.
So on Friday I saw a doctor and he confirmed my ear is full of pretty hard wax and he couldn't see the eardrum. He recommended using ear drops to soften the wax and gave me an appointment for following Monday.
On Monday I saw a nurse who again diagnosed the same problem, but she actually syringed the ear. Commenting afterwards "It can be unwise to do this whilst the wax is hard because it can damage the eardrum". When I got home I researched ear irrigation and saw the risks and dangers. Brilliant, just what I wanted. She then recommended using the ear drops. So for 48hrs I have been using eardrops and it is worse than ever. I'm totally deaf in the ear along with tinnitus. Now I don't know what to do or where to turn because I'm so worried about not being able to deploy in September and possible damage to my hearing. I go back to work on Monday.
Regards,
James Pollard
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

this is Dr. David

you should continue to use the ear drops to soften the ear wax

and see your doctor or nurse again in 2-5 days

to see if they can start to irrigate or use a currette to get the wax out of your ears.

if they can't do it, they may have to send you to see an ENT doctor

yes, using the ear drops can cause the wax to swell up and block of hearing out of the ear

but you should keep doing it

and go back and see your GP doctor

do you have a follow up appointment with your GP doctor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I don't have a follow up appointment.

you need a follow up appointment

for your doctor and nurse to look at your ear wax after you have used the softening ear drops

have them try some irrigation or curretting to get the wax out after you have soften it

they should be able to do it

call and make an appointment ASAP.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com