Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

What's the difference between electromyography (EMG) and

What's the difference between electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCS)?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

NCS are used to evaluate the ability of the nervous system to conduct electrical impulses.

EMG is used to assess the electrical activity in muscles, and the nerve/muscle function (health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them) to know if a neuromuscular disease is present.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which test should I do? I developed severe and apparently permanent adverse reactions as a result of Hepatitis B vaccine.
About 4 years ago I was completely healthy and very athletic before this vaccination and have now
suffered severe, debilitating autoimmune side effects from this vaccine. Such as getting joint pain
when I lift weights in the gym, only on one side of the body, not in both shoulders at once, just the
left. I never used to get joint pain when I was lifting weights before the vaccine, I used to lift
100KG but now I get joint pain when I lift 50KG. There's a measurable loss in stamina before the vaccine
to how I am now, I experience breathlessness much earlier when I do cardiovascular exercise then before
I had the vaccine. I have chronic fatigue and it is not improved by getting rest. I have a dry
persistent cough when there's nothing to bring up. I have a constant pain on the left side of the
stomach/abdominal area when I'm sitting down or playing video games or watching TV or using
my laptop etc. Painkillers do not help very much. Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pain on the left side
of my stomach. My care-cordinator said I experienced Psychosis due to Hep B vaccine. I used to
think the TV was communicating with me. I suffered the residual effects of all these symptoms for more
than 4 years. Lupus-like syndrome, multiple sclerosis-like syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

These test are done together in most cases, and doing both of them will be beneficial and will give your doctor more information.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are both used to check for these diseases/conditions?Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP)
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Fibromyalgia
Brachial Plexitis
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)
Transverse Myelitis
Encephalitis
Neuropathic Pain
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Yes in most of these diseases they may be beneficial and this can be to either diagnose the condition or to rule out other conditions. However in some conditions such as encephalitis they are not done.

Take care.

Please take a moment to rate the answer with 5 stars now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is done for encephalitis?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

For encephalitis imaging studies of the brain with spinal tap (lumbar puncture) may be done.