Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My son is in limbo. He suffers from seizures, night terrors,

Customer Question

My son is in limbo. He suffers from seizures, night terrors, night jerks/seizures and sleep walks and talks. The paediatrician says he thinks they have an epileptic basis but is not willing to investigate further due to their frequency, severity and his age. He is 2 but started having seizures I think at 7 months. They are getting more frequent but they are not as severe at the moment. Most recently he has had partial seizures and night myclonic seizures. He has previously had my clonics in the day, atonic, absences and a severe partial seizure where he was taken to hospital. He has had an EEG which came back abnormal with isolated sharp spikes in the left centre land fronto central regions. Currently he is having mainly absent/ myclonic a at least once a week for a day or so and complains of headaches, leg ache and fatigue. On these days he will sleep for 5/6 hrs during the day. He will also refuse to walk or go anywhere when feeling like this and acts either out of it or can be quite aggressive. Around these times we will see an increase in night terrors and sleep problems as well. He has sleep issues and slight myclonic jerks every night but these are becoming more severe to the point of waking him up. My question is what should we be expecting the consultant to do next, why have they not confirmed epilepsy and what tests etc.. Should I push for next?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

his EEG scan could have been at a time when he wasn't have a seizure.

he should get a portable ambulatory EEG monitor for home to monitor his brain waves for a longer period of time to check for seizure activity at home.

this will be better at detecting any seizure activity at home.

let me know if you have other questions.