Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

For around 5 months now I have had intermittent pain when

Customer Question

Hi for around 5 months now I have had intermittent pain when sitting which worsens if I have sat for long periods or on hard surfaces and when at its worst can cause sharp pains when I stand. It seems to flare up for a week or so then ease for a few days and then the cycle repeats but it there is always a constant dull ache. The pain seems to steem from between my buttocks cheeks near where it meets the spine and radiates outwards. More recently I have been experiencing right lower back pain and also an ache in the centre of my right buttock cheek. I have seen a GP who said it was most likely muscoloskeletal and has referred me to physio which I am still waiting on. I am just concerned there could be something more serious going on as my symptoms dont seem in line with any conditions I have read about (coccydinia, piriformis and si joint etc). Prior to this 5 months I took part in a 30 day intense workout programme and I had previously carried out little exercise and usually have a very sedentary lifestyle - could this be related at all or should I be concerned about growths etc? Thanks very much in advance.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Are you overweight?

Numbness,tingling sensation in legs?

Tenderness in lower back?

Are you currently taking any medications?

Any investigations so far?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Average weight, although at the higher end of what is accpetable for my height.
No numbness or tingling
Lower back can be tender although the back pain has only been for a few days and does seem to be improving slightly
No medications or investigations

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

As you are suffering from last few months with intermittent pain so possible it's nerve irritation at lumbosacral spine.

Piriformis syndrome can be a possible cause in your case.

Coccydynia heals in 8 to 12 weeks so it's less likely to have such pain for such a long period of time.

You should see an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo MRI of Lumbosacral spine,pelvis to determine diagnosis.

Physical therapy can provide you good results.

Also do gentle massage and warm compresses on affected areas.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

We are here to serve you until you satisfy.
It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will see what the Physio says and then try and request the MRI from my gp. Are tumors a likely cause for a problem of this nature? Im unsure when my Physio referral will come through so might have to chase it up if there is a high risk of this being an urgent matter. I currently have the pain and it is quite bad due to me sitting for the majority of the day yesterday, the pain usually lessens greatly when I am active/standing - is this significant to any specific cause at all?

Thanks for the follow-up.It’s my pleasure.

Firstly I assure you definitely it's not tumor or cancer in any way.

However it could be possible that you have disc herniation/piriformis syndrome due to some injury/strain during intense workout program.

You should take OTC Motrin.

Also do stretching exercises as much you can do comfortably.

You should do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses on affected area.

You have to take short breaks of standing/walking/stretching while doing work or sitting.

You can use circular doughnut cushion under your seat and avoid sitting on hard surface.

It's not high risk and urgent if you can bear pain.

Prolonged hours of sitting can compress and put pressure on nerves resulting in pain.

If possible make an appointment with Orthopedist also.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much for your help, I will look into your reccomendations.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil