Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I'm 5 3 and 7 stone is this enough to recover from anorexia

I'm 5 3 and 7 stone is this enough to recover from anorexia or do I need to put more weight. I also have osteoporosis.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

What was your weight before? Are you having any symptoms now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got down to 5 and a half stone and have been up to 8 stone when well. I still have lots of anorexic thoughts and struggle with low mood. I don't eat large amounts
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

As you are aware that a healthy weight for adults is within the BMI range of 20 – 25. Your present BMI is 17.4. Even with 8 stone your BMI is 19.8. Also it is better to aim for a BMI of of more than 20, even a BMI of 25 in your case. You need to stop dieting and worrying about your weight. A therapist will help you with your thoughts and low mood. You need to learn about healthy nutrition and well balance diet from a nutritionist and follow the advice about daily food habits.

So to answer your question, you need to gain more weight. Restoration of a healthy weight will benefit you in other aspects as well. If you need help in your journey to recovery please do take the help of your doctor and relatives.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. I am not sure I can cope at 8 stone but I admit I am preoccupied with my weight and what I am eating. Do you have much experience of eating disorders. Do a you really think I need to be at least 8 stone?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Yes I do have knowledge regarding nutrition and experience in managing patients with eating disorders. Not 8 stone but at least 9 stone for improvements in your symptoms and health. Regarding the negative scary thoughts this is where therapy helps a lot. It will teach you handle such thoughts better.

Take care.