Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am 86 years old and have been taking statins for several

Customer Question

i am 86 years old and have been taking statins for several years with no ill effects. Recently, however, I have developed severe muscular pains in shoulders, arms and thighs. I have had a blood test but the result was normal. Movement is painful on arising but lessens during the day. My doctor has advised stopping the statin for some 3 weeks to see if there is any improvement. There is 2 weeks to go. The pain at night disturbs my sleep so I feel tired during the day. I take painkillers, paracetamol.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Do you feel any improvement now? Which pain killers are you taking? Do you suffer from any medical condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no improvement. Paracetamol.No other medical condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we still in contact?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

In that case when the results have been normal and you do not have any medical condition I would suggest taking Ibuprofen also which is a painkiller available over the counter and which is more effective for pain reduction. This will also reduce the inflammation if present and will aid in healing.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Painkillers-ibuprofen/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks and goodbye
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

For statin associated myopathy it may take up to 2 months for resolution of symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Take care.