Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Following a visit to my GP I have been asked to monitor my

Following a visit to my GP I have been asked to monitor my blood pressure. I have done so for the last 3 days and am surprised by the results and wonder whether they are cause for serious concern. I have just left on vacation hence my question to you rather than visiting my GP.
On resting i.e. last thing at night or first thing in the morning I have found my BP to be high typically 145/150 over 95/102 with a pulse rate of 53 to 63
However when checked whilst active during the day it varies between 123/68 to 138/82 with a pulse rate of 67 to 80. This seems illogical?
I have no outstanding illnesses and am generally healthy. Non smoker and occasional drinker. 66 years of age 6'2" tall and 15 1/2 stone. I have recently seen a cardiologist following an episode of central chest heart pain that woke me up from sleep and lasted 1 hour with no other symptoms. He found nothing obviously wrong but arranged for an echo cardiogram which showed an enlargement of the arteries(?) in the heart which he wished to recheck in 12 months time.
Should I consider this serious or wait to see my GP at the end of my vacation in two weeks time?
Julian Whitlock
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.

I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

According to recent guidelines the normal problem pressure for your age if you do not have heart disease or diabetes would be around 150-90 (upper limit).

Readings of 123/68 and 138/82 are perfectly normal.

For the chest pain, I would recommend that you should have a stress echo or a treadmill test, if you have not had those done.

So I would not worry.

You can wait for your GP to be seen at two weeks' time.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please do submit a rating when you are done.
Kindest regards