Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I suffer with anorexia I am 5 3 and 7 stone. I have been

Customer Question

I suffer with anorexia I am 5 3 and 7 stone. I have been given different advice as to the best weight to be. One person said 7 and a half stone another 9 stone. I struggle at 7 and was a lot lower. I also have osteoporosis what is your advice?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Are you consulting a therapist? What difficulty are you facing in gaining weight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a cpn from the community. I always struggle gaining weight eating more and coping with changes in body shape feelingfat
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically the weight that you can maintain without dieting and restrained eating and also without exercising for the sake of weight control, then that weight is your ideal weight. Your ideal body weight preferably should be 8 stones or more. Always good to have a higher goal in eating disorders than the general population.

Therapy is a must to know how to deal with your thoughts about your body in a better way. So continue the counseling. Also you may read the below linked book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acceptance-Commitment-Therapy-Eating-Disorders/dp/1572247339

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By a higher weight with eating disorders do you mean I should be heavier than the average person because I wouldn't want to be this.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Not obese.

What I meant is that your BMI (Body mass index) should be more than the lower normal range of BMI. Normal BMI In adults is 18.5 to 24.9 and you should aim for a BMI of 20.

http://diet.mayoclinic.org/diet/eat/what-is-your-bmi?xid=nl_MayoClinicDiet_20160426

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it ok to go running at this weight and with osteoporosis?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

You need to consult your doctor before starting any exercise program for osteoporosis. It is normally recommended to exercise when is having osteoporosis, but one needs to avoid high impact exercises. Running should be OK.

Take care.