Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am having reoccurring tooth ache. My dentist has done an

Customer Question

I am having reoccurring tooth ache. My dentist has done an x-ray, and tells me that there is nothing wrong with the tooth. He says the tooth ache is because I grind my teeth. He has measured me for a mouth guard which will be ready in two weeks. However, I continue to have bad tooth ache. Ibuprofen helps. Is there anything else that can be done?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

this is Dr. David

you can buy an inexpensive bite guard at your local drug store to wear in your mouth at night time now before you see your dentist in 2 weeks

you need this bite guard to take pressure off of your teeth and TMJ joints because you are grinding your teeth involuntarily at night time when you sleep.

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry I am on holiday, so cannot make a call. How long can I take the ibuprofen for? Also, could there be a problem that the dentist is missing: arthritis in the jaw, a growth?

no, your dentist would not miss a lesion

grinding your teeth can cause inflammation of the TMJ joint which is the temporomandulbar jaw joint which hinges your jaw.

ibuprofen can help with this if you grind your teeth

you need to make sure you take the ibuprofen with food in your stomach and with plenty of water, never on an empty stomach.

you can take 200-400mg of ibuprofen daily for many weeks and be ok.

try to get an inexpensive mouth bite guard at a local drug store for now

until you see your dentist again.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Two last questions. Firstly, I have tried clove oil and it does not seem to help at all? Secondly what do I do if the guard does not help. Is there any other route than I can pursue long term? I have shoulder and neck pain on the same side as the tooth ache - could they be related?

the mouth guard and NSAIDs like ibuprofen will help over time.

in severe cases, sometimes steroid injections into the TMJ joint are needed, but you haven't even started using a bite guard yet, you have to at least give that a try.

shoulder and neck pain on that side could be referred pain from your TMJ inflammation

or they could be due to neck tension or pinched nerves in your neck. a neck MRI scan would be needed if you continue to have these pains after your TMJ inflammation gets better

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I am just back from holiday. Yours, Mark.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

you are welcome