Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a very fit and healthy 23 year old male who is due to

Hello. I am a very fit and healthy 23 year old male who is due to start a masters in astronautical engineering in September. I include this detail only to highlight the fact that my brain is my most important asset. I have never been a hypochondriac, in fact I would have alway catorgarised myself as the polar opposite of that, almost to a fault. Recently however (in light of the aforementioned vital nature of my brain to my future plans), I have began worrying about the potential for brain damage in what before would've seemed like insignificant incidents. For example, very lightly bumping my head on a cupboard door or when I'm running and my head is bouncing up and down, worrying that I am inflicting a closed brain injury upon myself. My question is, in general (because I can appreciate that everyone is an individual case) how hard must the head be hit or be shaken in order to sustain a lasting (open or closed) brain injury and how would intelligence and cognitive functions be affected in the long run by these light knocks? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome,

Cranium that is hard covering which make up head can withstand incredible amount of force. Head knocking does nt result in any physical or cognitive function and usually whenever there is a physical injury associated with head injury there are signs like nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness . And cognitive function only gets affected by repeated knocks enough to cause minor physical injury in the long run. So nothing much to worry about those light knocks as every one suffers them multiple times without any damage.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service, by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair,Thank you very much for your response it is reassuring. I just have one more question with regards ***** ***** injuries. How hard must one's head be shook in order to lead to concussion or some other form of brain injury?Thank you again!
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply,

Any severe head bang which cause you to feel fogy, dizzy, or difficulty in remembering can cause concussion. The exact force is difficult to consider as it varies from person to person so it is the symptoms which are leading in this case.

Best wishes.