Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

3 year old has flat patch of discoloured skin (flat,

3 year old has flat patch of discoloured skin (flat, irregular borders and darkens in the sun)
Don't remember it being there at birth, noticed it last summer.
Has been referred to dermatologist but will be 10 weeks! GP said she's not concerned but it's bugging me.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Please attach a picture here s that i can give you better advice.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went to GP last summer when I noticed it and they just said nothing to worry about, keep an eye on it, it lightened over the winter months and darkens again in the sun, so I went back to GP who has now done a referral

Thanks for the reply.

This looks like a congenital melanocytic nevus or a cafe au lait macule.

Both are possible causes and both darken with age and usually lighter at birth. In case of a Congenital Melanocytic Nevus, they are usually much darker even at birth but lighter variants are also there.

The final diagnosis will be made when the dermatologist examines it but both the lesions are nothing to worry about much.

Laser treatment can take care of both. And the chances of spreading are also not there.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks