Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I have had pains in my stomach for about two weeks now. They

Customer Question

I have had pains in my stomach for about two weeks now. They are not overly strong or debilitating but have been there for a while and don't seem to be fading.it feels like I have pulled muscles across the width of my stomach, but I have done nothing to pull the muscles.
For the first three or four days I would also feel a pain in my vagina when sitting. But this is not happening as often now. And I can have sex without any discomfort.
I am a 29 year old female and a smoker. I am overweight at around 97kg and 5'8". I hold a lot of weight around my stomach. I had put it down to a weird period pain. But my period has been and gone with no impact. I have also got a new job which has caused me to stop opening my bowels after lunch as I always used to. But I am still opening them at other times.
Could these pains simply be because I'm fat? I have never been this big before so I'm hoping that the weight is just pulling a on my muscles etc. ( I joined the gym to day)
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

increased weight and fat in your abdomen can stretch your belly

and over time, you can develop tears in your abdominal wall lining and even weakness of the abdominal wall lining.

this can potentially lead to weakness in the lining of the abdomen and eventual hernias there.

your pains in your abdomen could be due to tears and strains of your abdominal wall lining.

joining a gym is a good start, but you have to continue to go as well as eat very smart to loose weight

you need to be checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome and have your thyroid hormone levels checked as well. PCOS and hypothyroidism can both cause weight gain and cause you difficulty with weight loss.

let me know if you have questions.