Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am a 29 years old female. I have recently had my hormonal

Hi, I am a 29 years old female. I have recently had my hormonal blood test and was informed by my GP that my Prolactin and Testosterone levels are very high. I am planning to see the specialist, however, I am really worried about this and wanted to get further information please.
My period is very regular and always on time with moderate pain.
I exercise regularly and I am not overweight. I eat healthy and I do not have any facial hair, however, I get very minor acne around my jaw lines every now and then.
I am married with no kids, however, planning to have kids in future.
thanks for your help in advance.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

do you have the levels of your prolactin and testosterone levels?

that is good you are not overweight.

there is a chance your pituitary gland could be producing too much prolactin in your body. in some women, this can even lead to lactation even when they are not pregnant.

high testosterone or androgen levels in women can be due to polycystic ovarian syndrome where your ovaries are producing too much testosterone in your system.

your pituitary gland would not produce testosterone, but it could produce too much leutinizing hormone which could cause your ovaries to produce too much estrogen and testosterone.

you need to see an endocrinologist specialist and get more blood work to check your LH, FSH, and other pituitary hormone levels like ACTH, TSH, growth hormone, prolactin levels, and also ovarian hormones like testosterone and estridiol.

if your pituitary hormone levels are high, you will need an MRI scan of your brain to check on your pituitary gland as well to see if it is swollen in size.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your reply, attached is my full hormonal blood test result (including LH, FSH, etc) , the testosterone level is 3.02 and is not printed on the form.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your blood test report.

your testosterone is only slightly high at 3.02 with the normal range of 0.3 to 1.9

it doesn't sound like you have symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome and your LH levels are normal.

your main issue is the high prolactin level

your pituitary gland could be just making too much prolactin. this can be called a prolactinoma.

doctors use drugs known as dopamine agonists to treat prolactinoma

these drugs mimic the effects of dopamine, the brain chemical that normally controls prolactin production, but are much more potent and long lasting

commonly prescribed medications include bromocriptine (Cycloset, Parlodel) and cabergoline

these drugs decrease prolactin production and may shrink the prolactinoma in most people

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean there might be a presence of tumour in my pituitary gland? Is this very serious? I'm not experiencing any abnormal symptoms. Could it be diagnosed with MRI or further tests are required?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, this is a benign adenoma in the pituitary gland which makes too much prolactin.

it is not a cancer which can spread and kill you.

it is just an abnormal collection of cells in the pituitary gland which is making too much prolactin.

the blood tests showing high levels of prolactin is what is needed for diagnosis.

the MRI scan of the brain to look at the pituitary gland is to only see if the gland itself is swollen or not. most likely it is not swollen or only minimally swollen in size.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for all your help and advises. I feel so much better by talking to you Dr. David.
Have a nice day.