Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

About 2mts ago I had a chest infection and it took 2 lots of

Customer Question

about 2mts ago I had a nasty chest infection and it took 2 lots of antibiotics and steroids to shift I do have asthma which is getting sorted because I had a horrible cough samples came back clear .I now have a pain on my rib directly just under the base of my left breast my practice nurse checked it out and said it was muscular from the coughing and gave me some cocodamol that took the edge off it but it seems to be coming back I cant feel any lumps and my last mamagram was ok . when I say pain its more like how a bruise feels ido get a lot of chest infections at least one every 3 to 4 weeks this is the longest ive been clear its right under the wide part of the bra which is a genie bra no wires I am a large lady now from the steroids and back pain which I have morphine patches and tramadol and gained a lot of weight and not very mobile what do you addvise
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you most likely have strained muscles or intracostal muscles between ribs below your left breast with your coughing from your infection.

you can use heating pads and ice packs on this area to see if that helps the pain.

you can use over the counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium with food in your stomach to decrease muscle inflammation pain.

you can use your morphine patches and tramadol as well.

if you continue to have pain, you may need a rib xray or CT scan to check for mild rib fractures.

I would start there.

let me know if you have other questions.