Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

For last 8 weeks of so I have had a cold, morphing in last

For last 8 weeks of so I have had a cold, morphing in last few weeks to occasional cough plus headache. In addition I have in last 2 weeks developed an ache below my right ear, and at present the area round that on my neck is quite sensitive to the touch. I rang my NHS doctor and described these symptoms. He sent for a chest X-ray which I had 10 days ago. I saw the doctor on Monday who said the X Ray was fine. He examined my pulse, blood pressure, mouth, and felt the glands round my neck. He said it all seemed fine, but we would talk again next Wed. Yesterday all the symptoms returned but worse. I took ibuprofen, and woke today much better. But this evening the cough and ache below my neck have gone bad again. I have never smoked but I do drink alcohol at about 35/40 units/ week. parents died at 84 and 88 of heart failure and cancer respectively. I am 60, and usually in robust health though overweight.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for waiting. I am Dr Hasan and I am an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat etc? Are you worried about this being something dangerous like cancer? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Hasan, I have none of the 3 symptoms which you list. I have occasionally in recent weeks had a sore throat, and often phlegm, although both of these have diminished lately. My main fear it that the cough etc symptoms are linked to something more serious, which is in turn linked to this tenderness and discomfort in my neck. Yes I am concerned it might be cancer, from a position of ignorance, or something else serious. Until recently I gave no thought to all this because basically a cough. But then it has persisted for 2 months and I now have this neck issue. I hope that clarifies matters.
Thanks, Guy
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description, this can't be anything serious. Your symptoms are most likely due to an ongoing sinus infection. It is quite common to miss such infections. The tenderness can either be due to pulled muscle secondary to cough or due to inflamed lymph nodes. I am 100% sure that you don't have cancer because cancerous lymph nodes are never tender. This is a classical symptom to rule out cancer and that is why I am 100% sure. You should see your doctor to get an evaluation for a sinus infection because cold can quite often result in lingering sinus infections. Till you visit your doctor, you can try OTC tablet Claritin once daily and OTC nasacort nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily. Hopefully you will start feeling better. Moreover you should take OTC tablet Tylenol thrice daily and take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily. My suggestions will help you till you see your doctor but take my words that you don't have anything serious. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Hasan,Thank you for being so reassuring about cancer, which is a relief.As regards ***** ***** may I say I am a little surprised, as an ignorant layman, about the focus on sinus. I have not had much nasal blockage, if any, during the two months. The problem has been throat, cough, headache etc. I realise ENT are all connected, but can I assume you have taken all the above into account?Many thanks,Guy
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome Guy. It is quite possible to have sinus infection just with headache and cough. Please try my suggestions and I am hopeful that you will feel better. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Hasan, very clear. I will get the medication you suggest today and see a doctor next wed I hope. Meanwhile can you possibly shed any light on the neck issue. The swelling is now firm and visible, pretty much directly below my right ear.
All best
Guy
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. That swelling is due to inflamed lymph node and that is very common with such infections. As long it is tender, there is nothing to worry as it means infection and nothing else. All the best. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Hasan, i gave you excellent feedback, and have followed the directions which you gave in terms of medicine. I have to say that I still feel poorly, if not worse than before. The lump under my ear is now firm, visible and uncomfortable. I have a fairly constant headache. Occasionally I have a nasty hacking coughing fit. I have a chance to speak to my NHS doctor on Wed by phone, but can't get any other advice on the NHS, or privately. It is a public holiday her. So any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Guy
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a lot for your Input. I am sorry but at this stage you should see your doctor. However no improvement doesn't means anything serious I reassure you. Regards