Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

It started with an upset stomach, Headache and chills

It started with an upset stomach, Headache and chills Tuesday during the day. Then became fever, Headache and diarrhea. Now on day 3 just bad stomach and very bad diarrhea. I tried Pepto-Bismol but no help. I have eaten 1 dry toast and a small cup of rice in 3 days. I am drinking liquids like lucozade, water and taking rehydration granules. Feeling a little better but no change in the diarrhea. Can I take anti-diarrhea tablets or not? How can I stop it?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe there may be possibility of Viral gastroenteritis in your case.
You are doing good to rehydrate yourself with plenty of fluids and Oral rehydration solution (Gatorade).
Also take metamucil.
Continue to eat easy to digest food like soup or BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast).
Yes you can take OTC Imodium now.
Also take OTC Motrin for pain and fever.
Take proper rest and avoid dairy products, caffeine, alcohol,undercooked meat and fish and fatty rich food.

Start a probiotic and eat yogurt.

If your symptoms 'll persist you need to be seen by your regular doctor for a clinical examination and undergo Stool routine examination, CT scan abdomen to rule out underlying possible cause which may include Intestinal parasitic infection, colitis, Bacterial gastroenteritis..
Also if you feel dizziness and severe diarrhea then you may require IV fluids and injectable medications.
If you have severe abdominal pain then visit ER for prompt treatment.
I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thanks i will follow your advise. I also seem to have a sore throat is that linked?

Thanks for the follow-up.

This can also be associated with viral infection.

Do saline gargles.

You feel better if you try such self care measures as we have discussed earlier.

Otherwise if symptoms'll not improve then see your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.