Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Could you please explain to me my smear test results?

CYTOPATHOLOGY REPORT
LIQUID BASED CYTOLOGY (LBC)
Clinical Details
Previous smear: Unsuitable. Cytolytic and degenerative picture. Kindly repeat smear.
Last Menstrual Period:
01.06.2016
Result
Squamous superficial cells: Present
Squamous parabasal cells: Absent
Squamous metaplasia: Present
Endocervical cells: Present
Dyskaryosis: Not identified
Koilocytes: Not identified
Erythrocytes: Absent
Neutrophils: Present
Dyskeratosis: Absent
Inflammation: Absent
Overall smear components: Satisfactory
No abnormal cellular features identified.
Normal smear.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I need to speak to gynecologist/endocrinologist about my smear test
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You have a normal result and all the normal cells are seen. What do you want me to explain?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem is that my last menstrual period was a bit less than 3 month ago, my prolactin level is high, and in the future I want to conceive healthy kids. What treatment would you suggest for my situation? also I would like to know the exact meaning of that phrase - Previous smear: Unsuitable. Cytolytic and degenerative picture. Kindly repeat smear.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically the increased prolactin is interfering with the other hormones and causing the delayed period. Your doctor needs to find out the cause for the increased prolactin and with treatment of the cause you will have regular cycles. The cause could be low thyroid hormones which can be checked by a blood test. Or it could even be increased and excessive stress or exercise.

Regarding the previous smear this is most likely due to the fault of the person who made the smear or due to fixation of the smear and not due to any abnormal cells in the smear. That is the reason the smear is repeated so that the next time extra care is taken in making a smear and its fixation.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the fast answer.The thing is that I have been taking a contraceptive pill due to polycystic ovaries syndrome and as soon as I stopped the pill (as it had been over 10 years of taking it), I did not have periods. My family doctor abroad thinks I need treatment with bromocriptine, however my doctor back here thinks that it is not needed as my prolactin level is not that high, 770. What opinion shall I listen to?Thank you in advance, will be waiting for your answer

Dear customer,

The cause for the hyperprolactinemia needs to found out since they seem to be high. The cause for this should not be assumed to be due to PCOS. Regarding treating the high prolactin levels this depends on the aim of treatment and which symptoms need to be reduced. If infertility needs to be treated then bromocriptine is recommended with induction of ovulation. If the aim is to treat irregular bleeding, then estrogen-progesterone preparations can be used.

Take care.