Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

My daughter who is 25 is working on a cruise ship presently

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter who is 25 is working on a cruise ship presently and panicking about vaginal soreness she is feeling with itching. There is also slight discharge. She is also needing to urinate frequently. The onboard doctor gave her a pessary for thrush & ruled out a urine infection, but the need to pee is still there and she says she feels sore up inside her vagina. She has started to panic that she has cervical cancer. Can thrush also affect her bladder like this.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

In my opinion she is suffering from vaginitis.

Vaginitis is an inflammation of the vagina that can result in discharge, itching and pain. The cause is usually a change in the normal balance of vaginal bacteria or an infection.

The most common types of vaginitis are:

Bacterial vaginosis

Yeast infections

Trichomoniasis

Since her doctor already prescribed anti fungal pessary and if the symptoms are still persistent the doctor may want to prescribe metronidazole tablets (Flagyl) orally or metronidazole gel (MetroGel) for application in vagina.

Also taking probiotic may be helpful as well.

Some times the organism causing vaginitis may spread to urinary tract causing urinary symptoms.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the reply. So would it be thrush that causes vaginitis. She also says that a few days after a period she has a brownish bloody discharge. This may be unrelated to her present problem but thought I should mention it. I take it that treatmsnt for thrush will not sort out vaginitis if this is what she has?

Thrush can also cause vaginitis.

I think it is unrelated and brownish blood suggest that it is old blood.

Vaginitis can be caused by bacteria or fungus.

If bacterial vaginitis is present treatment of fungal infection(thrush) will not cure the infection.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.