Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a Right Ear Infection now for almost 3 weeks. Have

Hi. I have a Right Ear Infection now for almost 3 weeks. Have been to Doctore 4 times. 4 Sets of Antibiotics , drops, Painkillers, all to no avail.I am up her in middle of the night writing this. I am losing my mind with pain
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike. If you have taken 4 courses of antibiotics without resolution, you probably do not have an infection. Are you having any pain in your jaw or your teeth on the right side?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not as bad as the ear though
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

The ear is a crossroads, of sorts, for several nerves. Pain in the ear that is identical to that of an infection may actually be radiating into the ear from the jaw (e.g. TMJ) or the back molars (e.g. impacted or abscessed tooth). Have you consulted with a dentist?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cant afford the additional amount. Sorry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I leave ?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Does it hurt more when you chew on the right side in the back? Are the teeth sensitive to hot liquids or cold liquids?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Not at all. Its all inside my ear. Very seldom ( few minutes a day ) it eases somewhat but the I get sudden "darts" in my ear. The pain is always there and is sometimes unbearable
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has me worn out, depressed, So sick of it.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

So it is almost constant? Any associated dizziness (vertigo) or hearing loss?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very slight dizziness or vertigo ( same thing maybe) but very slight and not often.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would it be dangerous to take extra painkillers now as I cannot sleep again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I forgot to say The Doctor gave me small red steroid tablets as well
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Your pain may indicate a problem with the temporomandibular joint immediately in front of the ear, or the parotid gland that envelops the lower part of the ear. Other possibilities would be a shingles infection in the ear canal, which is very painful but your doctor should have seen, or Meniere's disease which usually has more dizziness and ringing than pain, but could be atypical in your case. An ENT physician can sort this out for you. See if you can get a referral. In the meantime, ask your doctor for a nerve-stablizing medication such as gabapentin or pregabalin. This should help to soften the sharp pains. In addition, an anti-inflammatory such at motrin or naprosyn might be quite helpful for controlling the pain.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best and you get some relief soon.