Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

12/1/1963. For the past three weeks I have been suffering

Good morning. My name is***** 12/1/1963. For the past three weeks I have been suffering with severe pains in both my legs, which is getting worse. I feel well apart from that, no fever or sickness. I don't know whether to visit our local walk in centre today, or make an appointment with my doctor next week. Your advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Does the pain affect the entire legs or just a portion of the legs, such as the front or back?

Are there any associated symptoms, such as swelling?

Is this so bad that you are having difficulty walking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain does affect the entire legs. I am finding it very painful to walk, but there is no swelling.

If the pain is more diffuse, that would suggest a muscular pain, whereas pain that is more limited in scope or associated with swelling could be related to something that would be more serious, such as a blood clot in a deep vein.

If the pain is more severe and causing difficulty walking, that also would be more concerning, but since the extent of the pain and lack of associated symptoms suggests a muscular cause of the pain, it would be reasonable to first try to manage this at home to see if it an be eased. If you have not already tried an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen, then it would be appropriate to try the naproxen to see if the pain will ease. It also would be fine to try to soak in hot bath water, as the moist heat may help. If the pain eases with the naproxen and moist heat and you are not having the difficulty walking, it would be fine to wait until you can see your doctor next week. But if the pain continues to be severe and cause difficulty with walking, it would be better to be seen in a walk-in clinic.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.