wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Basically I've had cats all my life but always Persians. We

Customer Question

Basically I've had cats all my life but always Persians. We recently got just a normal kitten back in August and this is where the problems started.
I wake up every morning and my eyes are burning really bad and I have bags under my eyes constantly. The burning doesn't seem to get any better only worse from time to time when one of my eyes will just go extremely blood shot.
The problem is I have been my GP 3 times 2 times they have told me it must be hayfever which I have never suffered with and it doesn't seem to change with the pollen count, plus I have tried anti histamine both eye drops and oral and it hasn't touched the reaction at all, and the third time they told me 'most allergies go away themselves'. I wouldn't mind this but due to my profession as a barber I've actually had to drop my hours in work because I physically can't focus because my eyes are hurting that much throughout the day.
Is it possible to request a allergy test from your GP? Or do they have to decide that for you? As I'm getting pretty desperate now.
Sean
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other symptoms?

Does this happen all year round?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't really have any other symotoms just eyes burning and puffy underneath. I'm not sure if it all year round yet as I've only had it since august. I've never really struggled with my eyes before and only seems to have happened since I got a new cat, should hayfever make your eyes burn everyday as my GP is saying?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Sean,

thank you for that additional information.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS